- Respect everyone equally. As humans, we’re all the same. We eat, drink and sleep just like everybody else. A reputable CEO and an unknown janitor deserve the same level of respect. Treating everyone equally shows that you’re a real gentleman/woman.
- Greet people before they greet you. Greeting people is considered as a good deed because it can really lift someone up, especially the shy or lonely ones.
- Remembering people’s name. “Thank you.” and “Thank You, Ben.” - Which is better and warmer?
- Thank people genuinely for their help, no matter how small it is. No help should be taken for granted. No amount of soft skills can support a person without gratitude.
- Never curse people however angry you get. Instead, communicate your problems constructively. Seek to understand, then to be understood.
Last but not least (PLEASE PRACTICE THE LAST ONE, IT’S SIMPLE!)…
- Smile at people. Smiling is contagious. You won’t run out of smiles, so why keep it to yourself?
These six simple soft skills are easy yet powerful.